Some days you have bad hair days where no matter how long you spend trying to tame that mane and how many bzillion grips you use, your do just won’t do what you tell it too.
Some days you have bad body days where no matter what clothes you put on or how many dresses you own you literally have nothing to wear.
And some days it just all goes wrong from the minute you get out of bed and you know its going to be a bad life day.
Similar to bad hair days but infinitely worse, bad life days strike when you least expect it. Yesterday life was great, everything was easy but today everything that can go wrong does go wrong.
You mess up your make up so you have to start again, you spill your breakfast all down your top, you miss the bus so you’re late for work and your best friend cancels lunch at the last minute. Everything that you touch doesn’t work, everything that you say is wrong and everything that you do appears to be a waste of time. And the day isn’t even close to being over yet. Your capacity to shrug it off and laugh it out has deserted you and you’re left wondering ‘Why me?’ ‘Why today?’
Unfortunately these days can’t be avoided. Out of all of the days of your life you have to expect a few bad ones, but they can be dealt with without resulting to such drastic measures as staying in bed all day comfort eating your body weight in chocolate.
1. Always remember that nothing is ever as bad as it seems. It’s easy to over-react and blow things out of proportion when you’re having a bad life day. As things steadily go wrong throughout the day, instead of bashing your head against the wall as you’d prefer, just stop and ask yourself, are they really that important on the grand scale of things? Would they bother you on a normal day? If the answer is no try your best to let them go.
2. Know that no matter how bad you think your day is going there is always someone out there who is having a worse day than you. Also know that it’s ok to take a little comfort and satisfaction from that fact.
3. Make a list of all the things you have to be grateful for and of all the good things in your life right now. So what you got a telling off at work, at least you have a job. The heating/oven/shower has broken at home; at least you have a roof over your head. So what you had an argument with your parents/partner/friend, at least these people are around for you to argue with and moan about bad life days to. Making a list of all your life’s good points will help put your crappy day into perspective.
4. Make sure you have something to look forward to, be it an upcoming holiday in the summer, birthday celebrations later in the year or a friend’s night out at the weekend. Give yourself something to focus on. Make a big deal of the event on your calendar or start a countdown to help you get through your bad life days.
5. Whether the dodgy day strikes while you’re at work or at home take yourself out of the situation for a little while to give yourself a break. Offer to run an errand to get out of the office and take a breather or sit down at home for half an hour to read a book. Indulge in a bit of escapism.
6. When your bad life day is really getting on your nerves remind yourself that it is only temporary. Every minute that ticks away is one less that you will have to deal with. Pretty soon you’ll be in bed and this nightmare day will come to an end. Get an early night and sleep easy in the knowledge that tomorrow will be a better day.
And if, after all that, you still want to eat your body weight in chocolate or ice cream then you go on right ahead and get down with your bad self, something good might as well come out of this miserable 24 hours. It totes doesn’t count when your having a bad life day anyway. I won’t tell if you won’t.